• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stat Rape 2nd in Washington State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jamesspade2

What is the name of your state? Washington State

In February of 2002, I was at work. A Grant County Sheriff Detective pulled up and asked to talk to me. I agreed. He started asking about some people I was hanging out with, and this girl who was 15 name was brought up. He asked if I knew her and I said yes. He asked if I knew how old she was, and I said yes. (Note, this was not on tape). He then said there was allegations that I had slept with this girl when she was 14. At this time, I had just turned 19, so this "crime" occurred 2 months after I was 18.

I stated that while I was her friend (she was a friend of my cousins....like family friend), and I knew she was very sexually active, I had never touched her in a sexual way. I stated I had hugged her on occasion, but never anything else.

He said thank you for the information and left. He called me a little later and asked if I'd be willing to come into the Sheriff's office the next day and take a polygraph to prove I didn't do it. I said yes, but then called my parents and contacted a Lawyer who said no. So, I didn't do that.

2 months later, the weekend of Easter in April, I was informed that I was being charged with a Second Degree Statutory Rape. I was assigned a public defender and talked to him. He gave me the whole case file, and I read my statement. In the statement, it said I admitted to sleeping with her. I told my Lawyer that I never said any such thing.

Anyways, as time went on, we ended up taking what I thought was a plea bargin. 86 months confinement would be suspended and I had to take a SOSSA class (Special Sex Offender Alternative Sentencing). I agreed to this and did 60 days in a county jail before I started my Probation.

Through all this, I stated that I had never done this and that the cop had added to my statement. I also asked my Lawyer at least 20 different times to investigate the case, and interview other witnesses. He never did any of it.

Fast forward 4 years (sentenced in 03) and I learn some things. This cop was fired from the Sheriffs office for adding to statements.

The Lawyer was disbarred from practicing in the State of Washington for illegal and immoral practice. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/news/local/unequaldefense/stories/two/

My question is, I'm looking to appeal on ineffective assistance of counsel, and I'm not sure what to do, exactly.

What brings this on after 4 years is people know my situation and hold grudges and say stuff and get me in trouble with my DOC Officers. Anyone can do it, and plus, I desire to be free of this extreme burden. I'm 24 years old, and I have never had a free day of life since I was 18.

Last edited:

Jamesspade2

You talking about someone like the United Defense Group??

I don't trust any of these attorneys in my area, and I don't know about Seattle.

I contacted the FBI last week, and am in conversation with the ACLU at this time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">