• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing unlicensed draftsman

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

recharged95

SoCal (CA)

I've contracted an "unlicensed architect" (i.e. he's a draftsman) at the end of Jan.--his sales pitch & price was good, and was initially responsive for the 1st 2 weeks. It's now over a month (6 weeks total), and we cannot get a blueprint sketch from him for approval for structural engineering. We've seen only 2 floorpan sketches (not detailed) during those 1st 2 weeks. This is for a [basic] room addition+bath (ground floor, 400sq. ft total).

He mentioned a personal emergency Feb 17 after canceling a meeting to approve the blueprints. Well, I found out a week later the medical emergency turned out okay (he found out Feb 18 things were ok, but didn't notify us). I had to leave voicemail almost everyday for a week before he responded. We then promised to fax us sketches to sign off, and now it's 3 weeks later after repeated voicemails. I finally talked to him yesterday and he says he will fax some sketches, but no dice--I left several messages again today.

I'm out $2K so far, can I sue in small claims and get that money back? I noticed from unlicensed gen. contractors it maybe hard, but I found there's no license requirement for draftsman/architects, so, can i sue? (I'm frustrated to the point that's I feel it's the only option). We do have a written contract with him to provide us with blueprints, plan check, and followup with a contractor for changes, but no delivery schedule--he gave us a verbal that it should be no longer than 6 weeks+city planning time.

thanks!

Last edited:

recharged95

Thanks. I was worried from the few articles on the net saying you can be fined by the state by using an unlicensed contractor (and considering CA has it's weird laws)--but in my case it's a draftsman...

I attempted to contact this guy again last night once more with no success, so I sent a fax demanding my refund early this morning--so far no response, so it looks like it's time to file.

fairisfair

Thanks. I was worried from the few articles on the net saying you can be fined by the state by using an unlicensed contractor (and considering CA has it's weird laws)--but in my case it's a draftsman...

I attempted to contact this guy again last night once more with no success, so I sent a fax demanding my refund early this morning--so far no response, so it looks like it's time to file.
don't get too excited, all Linda said was of course you can sue. After all, I could sue you for that matter.:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">