• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit card debt responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missbea

What is the name of your state? KY

My father died, with a will, which has been probated. Due to limited assets, the court dispensed with probate ($9,000 truck with a $2,000 lien and a mobile home on a rented lot). I've paid almost all the smaller debts including the truck lien. The rest, about $1,000 worth excluding medical bills, will be paid shortly. Yesterday I received a call from a law firm representing dad's credit card company (I contacted the company in January, 07, when dad died to close account). The lawyer said if I paid $7,500 by this coming Monday, they'd settle the account. I told them I couldn't do that, then he suggested I transfer dad's charge to my charge card. I told them it wasn't my debt and I had planned to try to sell dad's truck to raise money for the debt, but he said the company wanted paid "now" or they would file a claim against the estate? Does this sound right and can they do that? Is it just "strong arm" tactics? I tried to do the right thing by contacting the credit card company in the first place rather than just ignoring them. Thank you for any advice.
Miss Bea

nextwife

Refuse to put any balances on your credit cards, it's not your debt. Let them file a claim on the estate. They will be paid when the estate assets are sold. So what if they have to wait, the assets need to be sold first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">