• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did we mess up our son's tax liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

traybo

What is the name of your state? California

My 19 yo son earned $6526 in wages this year from part time jobs. He is a full time student. I am using turbotax to do his state (CA) and federal taxes. After going through the process it shows that he will receive a refund of $46 and will owe the state $66. I am very confused about penalties regarding his education account assessed. Here is his info:

Earned wages: $6526

Federal withholding $429
State Tax $48

Other Income: $7000 His education distrubution

On the 1099Q it breaks down like this:

Gross Distrubution $7000
Earnings $2122
Basis $4878

His 1098T $3049

When he started school we initially took withdrawls when we needed them but eventually cashed most of that account out and moved it to a liquid savings account to make it easily accessable. We entered his 1098T which was for 2006. Trouble is the first semester of 2006 was paid December of 2005 so I'm sure that amount went on the 1098 for 2005. I remember thinking it was a high figure at the time.

Now Turbo tax is saying that we have a $1198 taxable distrubution from a Coverdell account and will be assessed a 10% penalty. I don't know where they come up with the figure of $1198.

We have never spent a dime of this money for anything but education related expenses. Did we make a huge mistake in cashing it out and moving it to a liquid savings account? this account is set up at the bank in his and my husbands name. Everything from the beginning was 529 or UTMA. Can someone please help us? The remainder of the funds are being used this year. Even though we moved $7000, we didn't spend it all in 2006. We're using it now? Did we mess up? I certainly appreciate any and all help offered.

Thank you.

LdiJ

If your son is a full time student, then he would be your dependent. He should be filing as a dependent of another. If he is your dependent, as he legally should be, then the 1098 T and the 1099Q should be addressed on your return rather than on his.

He should be getting back about 2/3rds of his federal withholding. I cannot comment on CA. However yes, you did mess up the liability by withdrawing more money than was needed, without rolling it over into another qualified plan.

Last edited:

traybo

Thank you for your response. I'm confused. All the forms we received were in his name as reipient and with his ssn. We did claim him as a dependant. We've yet to file his return. I'm in the process of trying to find out what kind of account it was that it was rolled over to. Will post when I know.
Thanks.

LdiJ

Thank you for your response. I'm confused. All the forms we received were in his name as reipient and with his ssn. We did claim him as a dependant. We've yet to file his return. I'm in the process of trying to find out what kind of account it was that it was rolled over to. Will post when I know.
Thanks.
Yes, the forms were in his name and social, but they STILL should have been addressed on YOUR tax return, NOT on his. If you did not address them on your return, then you need to amend your return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">