• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Embezzlement Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rnransom

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am in the process of being charged with embezzling funds from a bank that I worked for. I have already confessed everything and I know what I did was wrong. First I just wanted to know the statute of limitations for federal prosecution for embezzlement. Also I am confused by my lawyers. They are letting the US Attorney tell them how to handle my case. And it just seems like I wasted money hiring the attorney if they are going to follow step by step the directions of the US Attorney. I think that my previous employer does not want it to get out how lack their controls were and the ease of which the funds were taken and the US Attorneys directives allows this situation to stay out of the public eye. What I fear is my attorney is using me as a bargining chip. When they gave me a breakdown of the charges it didn't seem as if I was getting credit for cooperating. Can anyone provide some guidance?

Shay-Pari'e

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am in the process of being charged with embezzling funds from a bank that I worked for. I have already confessed everything and I know what I did was wrong. First I just wanted to know the statute of limitations for federal prosecution for embezzlement. Also I am confused by my lawyers. They are letting the US Attorney tell them how to handle my case. And it just seems like I wasted money hiring the attorney if they are going to follow step by step the directions of the US Attorney. I think that my previous employer does not want it to get out how lack their controls were and the ease of which the funds were taken and the US Attorneys directives allows this situation to stay out of the public eye. What I fear is my attorney is using me as a bargining chip. When they gave me a breakdown of the charges it didn't seem as if I was getting credit for cooperating. Can anyone provide some guidance?

You are kidding right? And what does *US ATTORNEY* mean? You may think you are slick, but obviously you are not.

rnransom

I don't understand your question and would need for you to clarify. When I say US Attorney I mean just that I am being prosecuted by the US Attorney and he is directing my lawyers on how to handle my case.

FlyingRon

Also I am confused by my lawyers. They are letting the US Attorney tell them how to handle my case. And it just seems like I wasted money hiring the attorney if they are going to follow step by step the directions of the US Attorney.
If your lawyers can't explain their actions to you, you can look to find others. Since you are admitting guilt, the only thing really to do is try to mitigate the sanctions that will surely come.

I think that my previous employer does not want it to get out how lack their controls were and the ease of which the funds were taken and the US Attorneys directives allows this situation to stay out of the public eye.
Why would the US Attorney care about how easy it was for you to steal the money. He's got no vested interest in protecting the bank (if he does, I'd get your lawyer to have him removed from the case).

What I fear is my attorney is using me as a bargining chip. When they gave me a breakdown of the charges it didn't seem as if I was getting credit for cooperating. Can anyone provide some guidance?
Huh, bargaining chip for what? What is YOUR lawyer getting out of selling you out?

tranquility

I don't claim any special knowledge beyond paying attention to these things, but with your confession there are only two issues left. The first is what things you will be convicted of. This is almost solely in the hands of the U.S. attorney. Sure, your attorney is going to try to negotiate as few crimes as possible. However, it is the U.S. attorney who will decide.

The next is having to do with Booker guidelines. Federal law is very statutory regarding the sentence. They take the crimes convicted and then add or subtract for different things. Was a gun used? Is there confession? Many others. Here you may have some negotiating room as this is a key component in much criminal litigation.

One good site with information on the issues here is at:
http://www.fd.org/blakely_main.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">