• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mold In Workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rowdyrandi

What is the name of your state? Indiana

We have been renting office space for about 10 years in a strip mall of professional businesses. The owner (landlord) has his business in this building too. We use 3 rooms in the suite for ourselves. Another large room we share with the landlord for storage. There is one other room that he stores his own items in solely. About 3 months ago, we came into the office and smelled what seemed to be musty, moldy odors. In checking, we found that our landlord had brought in a large amount of 'junk' to store in the shared room. It stunk badly and when we looked at it, everything was covered in mold. We went over to ask him about it and he said they were items he was going to sell in a garage sale some day and had been stored in his basement and they had gotten wet. We told him the smell was terrible and we did not want to breathe it. We told him we were going to put everything into plastic bags and he told us that was fine. That cut down on the smell a bit so we just ignored it. THEN, 3 days ago, we came in and there was MORE junk and it smelled even stronger of mold. They are old chairs and kids' plastic toys and the such and the smell was horrible. We went next door two days in a row, and he was either gone or busy with clients. We told his secretary that we wanted to stuff OUT OF THAT ROOM this weekend. If he does not follow through, can we do anything to push him to do this? He has been a good landlord and we have been good tenants. I am not sure why he has done nothing about this. Does he not realize the health problems this mold could cause? I have had headaches almsot every day since this occured and lots of sinus problems. I am not sure if it is from the mold, but I have a hard time breathing when I have to go into that room (this is where files are stored, etc). My husband is severly allergic to mold. We smell like the mold/musty stuff even when we leave the workplace. What are our rights?

RANDI KECKWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">