• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police questioning..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harrymeanwell

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi. The local police department suspected me of putting up graffiti around town. I am under the age of 18. They call my house, and ask if I'm there (i'm not), and someone else answers. They say I'm not there, then the police come by my house later to see if I'm there, and I am not there again. So the police leave a message for me saying to come by the station.

At this point, what should I have done?

I went to the station without my parents, and I'm not sure if that was right...
they then questioned me and I denied doing it, and they had me sign a report saying I didn't. Should I have done that?
Is it legal for them to question me at the station without my parents being present?

outonbail

I take it your afraid to tell your parents about this situation.

I don't know what it was they had you sign, but I imagine that by them talking to you, they were able to discover what they wanted to know, whether you lied to them or not.

Don't think this is over, it's probably just began. Don't be surprised if they come knocking
to search your residence looking to match your "monikor" with the art in your room and on your school books/papers.

I suggest you don't go talking to them again without an attorney present. I also suggest you get out of the destructive habit of defacing property and stop leaving your mark wherever you go, like your some kind of dog.

harrymeanwell

No, my parents know what is going on. Also, the police haven't contacted me since... but it seemed that they did not want to believe me, and tried to coerce me into admitting that I did it.

By the way, i said I was suspected of putting up graffiti. Also, my question was whether or not it is legal for the police to question me without my parents being present.

outonbail

Yes, it is legal for the police to question you if they "SUSPECT YOU" are involved in a crime, with or without your parents being present.

I also "SUSPECT" that you wouldn't be so concerned with the entire situation if you were 100% guilt free. Have any of your friends been questioned? It's possible that someone gave them your name, since they don't just throw darts at a phone book and question whoever's name they happen to hit.

harrymeanwell

ok, thanks. i was just wondering...
and yes, I have done graffiti in the past(and caught for it), but in this case they were suspecting me of doing something I didn't do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">