• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faulty background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nooneimportant

Colorado

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this in, admin, please move to its correct location if needed.

I have had a strange situation arise in my new workplace. I was called into the office and told that my criminal background check turned up a large number of offenses, including possible inclusion on the national sex offender list, a conviction for a felony, and a slew of other criminal charges. There were not a lot of details on this report aside from the county that it took palce in, date filed, and the case number, so I don't really know what the charges were.

The interesting thing is, the most criminal thing I have ever been caught doing is a few speeding tickets. I have certainly never been charged with or in any way connected to a felony and there is no reason for me to be on the national sex offender registry. My employer believes me, but they will be getting a letter from the state sometime informing them that I cannot work there anymore because it is a childcare facility.

To make the situation even more unusual, this is not my primary job. It is a part time/weekend sort of job. I work full time in a public school and was hired at the beginning of this year. Presumably, they ran a full background check on me as well and they never mentioned anything. Clearly, if a felony had shown up on my record, they would have asked me about it before hiring me as I clearly stated on my application that I have never been charged with a felony.

Other interesting facts. One of the cases was filed when I was 12 years old (I am now 24) and it has never shown up before that I know of. Most of the other cases were filed in a California county that I lived in for one year, but they were filed 4 years after I left. There is also a Missouri address listed for me that I have never been at. All very strange.

My hope is that this is just a database error on the part of the background checker, but it seems a bit like somehow my identity has been connected in some way to criminal activity. However, if this is not the case, I need to figure out where these records came from and how I make them go away.

Basic question: Where do I start the cleanup process?

The best I can think of would be to contact the country recorders/courthouses where each of the cases were tried/filed and just start asking questions, but if anyone has any more information that could point me to a more direct course to fix this problem, that would be great.

Nooneimportant

Thanks Jetx, that seems like a good place to start.

Another question:

What is the best way to get all the info I need to make the appropriate contacts?

Presumably I should have pretty complete access to my own records, but what is the best way to get them?

I have heard that a lot of the internet background checks aren't very thorough or are downright bogus/scam. Is there a government agency/buidling that I can go to in person to get more complete records, or are they all in California since that is where the charges were filed?

JETX

Contact the state DPS (or equivalent) in the applicable state and get a copy of ALL the charges. The report should show what court or county

Nooneimportant

Ahh, very good. Just found the CA site with a ton of info I need.

http://ag.ca.gov/idtheft/index.php

I am just worried I am going to end up having to make a random trip to California to wander around courthouses clearing all this stuff.

Fortunately, I do not show up on the Sex Offendor Regsitry in either California or COlorado, so that is kind of nice to know.

Thanks for the help Jet

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">