• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the jurisdiction of a restraining order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalinformatio

Let's say a restraining order issued in one state prohibts Person A from contacting Person B (both people are located in the same state).

1. Can Person A visit another state and contact Person B from that state?
2. Can Person A visit another country and contact Person B from that country?
3. What if both people are not in the state in which the restraining order was issued?
4. What if both people are not in the country in which the restraining order was issued?

CdwJava

In recent years I believe EVERY state has enacted legislation to honor protective orders issued in every other state. It is my understanding that this is now the law in all 50 states.

If they make contact in another state, it is an arguable violation in the state of issuance. However, if caught the violator could be charged in the state where the violation occurred.

Where I work we have had occasion to arrest people from Oregon who are restrained from parties in town with Oregon protective orders. They are valid here absent information to show that they are not. The same should hold true in every state.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">