• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petit Larceny Questions...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bookish

I currently live in North Carolina but the charges originated in New York. I have many questions so any advice or answers that you could offer is greatly appreciated. In April of 2005, at the age of 20, I was arrested on charges of petit larceny. I went to court with a public defender and opted for a reduced charge of disorderly conduct or something along those lines and a $200 fine. I was moving out of state the next month and never paid my fine as I didn't have the money. I believe I got a 2 week extension on the fine but as I had quit my job to move the money never came and I never paid my fine. I recieved a notice of warrant for my arrest in the mail a while after I moved but I never responded because quite honestly I was afraid. So I have a lot of questions. If I just let the charges sit there after a certain amount of time I would automatically be convicted right? And those charges (a class A misdemeanor in NY) would stick with my record forever correct? I recently had a lawyer in NY take care of my speeding tickets and I never had to be there in person. If I got a lawyer for this legal matter would I have to go to NY or could it possibly be handled without my presense? Also, what do you think the consequences might be this time around? Any advice is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state?

outonbail

I currently live in North Carolina but the charges originated in New York. I have many questions so any advice or answers that you could offer is greatly appreciated. In April of 2005, at the age of 20, I was arrested on charges of petit larceny. I went to court with a public defender and opted for a reduced charge of disorderly conduct or something along those lines and a $200 fine. I was moving out of state the next month and never paid my fine as I didn't have the money. I believe I got a 2 week extension on the fine but as I had quit my job to move the money never came and I never paid my fine.
That's no excuse for not having paid your fine after two years.

I recieved a notice of warrant for my arrest in the mail a while after I moved but I never responded because quite honestly I was afraid.
You should be more afraid of the consequences for not responding.

So I have a lot of questions. If I just let the charges sit there after a certain amount of time I would automatically be convicted right?
Convicted of what? Were you on probation, with one of the terms being to pay a fine of $200.00? If so, then the warrant is probably for violating the terms of your probation. If you were sent a notice to appear, so the court could inquire as to why you haven't paid the fine, then the warrant may be for your failure to appear.

And those charges (a class A misdemeanor in NY) would stick with my record forever correct?
The warrant never goes away and you may not be able to renew your drivers license with the outstanding warrant.

I recently had a lawyer in NY take care of my speeding tickets and I never had to be there in person. If I got a lawyer for this legal matter would I have to go to NY or could it possibly be handled without my presense?
It's possible, but without knowing what exactly the warrant was issued for, no one can say for sure. However, if it was issued for not paying the fine, a lawyer will certainly cost you more than a $200.00 fine. If that's all the court requires, wouldn't paying your fine be more economical? I'm sure you will have interest added by now, but your going to have to pay whatever the fine amounts to, with or without a lawyer.

Also, what do you think the consequences might be this time around? Any advice is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state?
If you get picked up for the warrant by law enforcement, the consequences will certainly include jail. Aside from that, it requires a crystal ball to predict what the outcome will be without knowing the reason why the warrant was actually issued.

I suggest you contact the court and ask them what's required.

Bookish

First of all, I don't need someone to tell me that I have no excuse for not paying my fines. I obviously know this. I wasn't looking for snide remarks, just real answers and good advice. Being that it was a misdemeanor charge I'd have no reason to be on probation. I am saying I believe there is a certain amount of time before your charges default to guilty of the original charge. I am currently living in North Carolina and never plan on moving back to the hell that is New York. I had no problem here getting a new license or anything. If it was as simple as calling up and making an arrangement to pay the fine I would have done so by now. I highly doubt however that the $200 is still going to be any part of this ordeal as I missed the deadline anyway. I also doubt that I will get picked up on a warrant here in NC. I am more concerned about criminal checks for jobs and apartments etc. I currently work at a law firm. I'd ask a lawyer if I wouldn't be jeopardizing my job.

outonbail

First of all, I don't need someone to tell me that I have no excuse for not paying my fines. I obviously know this. I wasn't looking for snide remarks, just real answers and good advice.
My mistake, I thought that maybe the excuse you posted for not paying the fine was something you considered relevant or thought maybe the court would.

Being that it was a misdemeanor charge I'd have no reason to be on probation.
It doesn't require commiting a felony to be placed on probation, if that's what your getting at.

I am saying I believe there is a certain amount of time before your charges default to guilty of the original charge.
True, this is sometimes a condition, which is why I asked if you were on probation. The charges are often reduced upon the successful completion of said probation. However, I wasn't in court the day you were sentenced. Hence, I have no way of knowing what terms you agreed to comply to at that time. (broken crystal ball)

I am currently living in North Carolina and never plan on moving back to the hell that is New York. I had no problem here getting a new license or anything. If it was as simple as calling up and making an arrangement to pay the fine I would have done so by now.
So then you have tried to contact the court already. What were you told?

I highly doubt however that the $200 is still going to be any part of this ordeal as I missed the deadline anyway.
Seeing as you highly doubt it, I highly doubt you've made any attempt to contact the court. I'm sorry if you find this to be an unacceptable suggestion. However no one knows all the details of this situation better than you and you still haven't posted what the warrant was issued for. So how do you expect anyone to give you "real answers and good advice" without providing the information necessary to accomplish what you wish?

I also doubt that I will get picked up on a warrant here in NC.
I doubt it as well.

I am more concerned about criminal checks for jobs and apartments etc. I currently work at a law firm. I'd ask a lawyer if I wouldn't be jeopardizing my job.
Well, I imagine it will show up if a potential employer does a background check, especially in the legal field. If you are a valued employee at the law firm you are currently working for, I would have to believe they would assist you in resolving this matter. But only you know how your situation stands with your employer.

I'm not sure why you don't just hire a lawyer like you did for your speeding tickets if your so worried about this warrant.
Perhaps you don't want to pay for snide remarks?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">