• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Greedy Sibling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmmango

What is the name of your state? MI

My mother passed away in January. She had recently became ill and was advised (by who I'm not sure) to begin removing her name from her assets (home & bank accounts). She had 4 children. Prior to her death, my mother quick-claim deeded her house to my younger sister. She had an IRA & CD. It was no secret the CD was for her 4 grandchildren (college ed). She recently changed the beneficiary of her CD to my younger sister as well. At first my sister seemed to be handling this all responsibly. We were waiting for the CD to be paid out to meet and decide what we were going to do (payoff debts, pay taxes on money, divide money) Unfortunately, I discovered she had received the check, cashed it & transferred all of the funds to her personal account. Now she seems to be intending to keep all of the money & house for herself. I am not sure what the status of the IRA is because she has stopped communicating with the rest of the family. Is there anything I can do???

Dandy Don

Did sis also have power of attorney? Of course she did. Is there a last will and testament or not? Did your mother take medications or suffer from any disease that would have affected her judgment/mental competency to make decisions?

Consult with a family law attorney/elder financial abuse attorney to see if sister has officially committed abuse of POA and if charges could be filed against her, if your state has laws regarding abuse of POA.

You can contact the company holding the IRA to find out the status of that, but I'm sure you won't be surprised if she got that too, the greedy little witch!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">