• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of verbal agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmoser

I've been working with an auto salesman for three weeks on a deal (in Kentucky). We agreed on the price early; I just needed to iron out some worries about the mechanics of the vehicle.

I called one morning to say that we would be in that afternoon to sign for the vehicle. He said that he would balance the tires, clean the vehicle (as I requested), and have the paperwork ready. All we would have to do is sign and go.

When we arrived, the car had not been washed, so I told the salesman that we would go eat dinner while it was being cleaned and then sign the papers. When we returned, his General Manager had called him from out of town and said to quash the deal. The GM referenced a government report that came out the day before that gave our trade-in a poor safety rating ('98 Blazer 2x4).

Does it matter that we had a verbal agreement? The sales agreement was physically written out and waiting on our signature!

Please help!
Thanks,
Jeff -- Lexington, KY

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jmoser said:
I've been working with an auto salesman for three weeks on a deal (in Kentucky). We agreed on the price early; I just needed to iron out some worries about the mechanics of the vehicle.

I called one morning to say that we would be in that afternoon to sign for the vehicle. He said that he would balance the tires, clean the vehicle (as I requested), and have the paperwork ready. All we would have to do is sign and go.

When we arrived, the car had not been washed, so I told the salesman that we would go eat dinner while it was being cleaned and then sign the papers. When we returned, his General Manager had called him from out of town and said to quash the deal. The GM referenced a government report that came out the day before that gave our trade-in a poor safety rating ('98 Blazer 2x4).

Does it matter that we had a verbal agreement? The sales agreement was physically written out and waiting on our signature!

Please help!
Thanks,
Jeff -- Lexington, KY
My response:

Sorry. When it comes to vehicles being purchased from a dealer, State laws mandate that you've got nothing until contracts are signed, not merely "prepared". The deal is off.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 01-12-2001 at 10:40 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">