• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming a dependent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paulie

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband, who is divorced, is allowed to claim one of his children on his taxes. The daughter that he has been claiming just turned 18 in Feburary 2007. He was told he can't claim her on his 2006 taxes. Shouldn't he still be able to claim her for 2006, since she didn't turn 18 until 2007? We were told it's because of the tax year - April to April, but from everything I've read on the internet that doesn't sound correct. Thank you.

ceara19

My husband, who is divorced, is allowed to claim one of his children on his taxes. The daughter that he has been claiming just turned 18 in Feburary 2007. He was told he can't claim her on his 2006 taxes. Shouldn't he still be able to claim her for 2006, since she didn't turn 18 until 2007? We were told it's because of the tax year - April to April, but from everything I've read on the internet that doesn't sound correct. Thank you.
You were told wrong! The individual taxpayer's tax year runs January through December, just like the calendar.

LdiJ

Does your husband possibly file on a fiscal year rather than a calendar year? If not, then that is completely wrong. He would still be allowed to claim her for 2006.....UNLESS...she had enough income to legitimately have provided more than 50% of her own support.

For example, if she graduated early and therefore worked full time from May to December of 2006, she might very well have earned enough that she would be no one's dependent for 2006. If a child's income is above about 12k it starts getting iffy.

paulie

We file for the calendar year. His daughter isn't even out of high school yet and has never worked a day in her life. We have another call into our CPA to figure this out...he's just kind of hard to get hold of at this time of year, so I thought I'd ask here too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">