• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I being audited?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maryjo

What is the name of your state? Florida

I filed my taxes using Turbo Tax just like I have done for many years now. I finished my taxes and filed them on Feb. 2nd. My estimated refund deposit was supposed to be between Feb. 9th through the 12th.

Long story short, my refund has been held up. After many emails and websites and phone calls I finally got to speak to someone from the IRS, who said that 72,000 tax refunds were being held up because people were filing too early. This sounded very strange to me. You would think something like that would have made the news or something. However, she also said it could be any number of things and when she pulled it up she said they wanted more information on the income I reported and my tax credits. I was told I would be getting a letter by March 12th. I asked her could this be happening because I just got divorced in October and she said that was a good possibility.

The letter arrive today, exactly March 12th. In it says

"We have received your income tax return and are holding your refund until we complete a more thorough review. This review is a part of an ongoing program the IRS conducts to ensure the accuracy of return information. Your return was selected because we are reviewing:
Income you reported on your return
Income tax withholding amounts you reported on your return
Claims for tax credits you made on your return and/or
Business income you reported on your return.

We will hold your refund until we finish our review. You are not required to send us anything at this time. If you have not received your refund or been contacted by us within 3 weeks of the date of this notice, you may call us at the number provided above. Limited third party contacts may be made to determine the correctness of certain return information. Once our review is completed we may send you your refund, ask you for additional information or clarification of items on your return, or deny your refund. If you do not agree with our decision, you will have a chance to appeal."

What I dont understand is that I had one W-2. I had not worked for about 15 months before I got this job but I held the same job for 14 years prior to that. So it isnt like I had a lot of stuff to put down. I made just over 14,000 dollars last year. Thats it. I also have one dependent. And according to Turbo Tax I qualified for a tax credit because I didnt make much last year.

Am I in trouble?! I have never had this happen before. I am really getting kind of scared.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida

I filed my taxes using Turbo Tax just like I have done for many years now. I finished my taxes and filed them on Feb. 2nd. My estimated refund deposit was supposed to be between Feb. 9th through the 12th.

Long story short, my refund has been held up. After many emails and websites and phone calls I finally got to speak to someone from the IRS, who said that 72,000 tax refunds were being held up because people were filing too early. This sounded very strange to me. You would think something like that would have made the news or something. However, she also said it could be any number of things and when she pulled it up she said they wanted more information on the income I reported and my tax credits. I was told I would be getting a letter by March 12th. I asked her could this be happening because I just got divorced in October and she said that was a good possibility.

The letter arrive today, exactly March 12th. In it says

"We have received your income tax return and are holding your refund until we complete a more thorough review. This review is a part of an ongoing program the IRS conducts to ensure the accuracy of return information. Your return was selected because we are reviewing:
Income you reported on your return
Income tax withholding amounts you reported on your return
Claims for tax credits you made on your return and/or
Business income you reported on your return.

We will hold your refund until we finish our review. You are not required to send us anything at this time. If you have not received your refund or been contacted by us within 3 weeks of the date of this notice, you may call us at the number provided above. Limited third party contacts may be made to determine the correctness of certain return information. Once our review is completed we may send you your refund, ask you for additional information or clarification of items on your return, or deny your refund. If you do not agree with our decision, you will have a chance to appeal."

What I dont understand is that I had one W-2. I had not worked for about 15 months before I got this job but I held the same job for 14 years prior to that. So it isnt like I had a lot of stuff to put down. I made just over 14,000 dollars last year. Thats it. I also have one dependent. And according to Turbo Tax I qualified for a tax credit because I didnt make much last year.

Am I in trouble?! I have never had this happen before. I am really getting kind of scared.
Each year the IRS targets certain, specific factors or "flags" to review a select amount of returns for accuracy.

If you only had one W2, then you were probably flagged because of your dependent, and claiming EIC. I hope that your dependent is your own child who lived with you more than six months of the year. Otherwise, you are probably going to be asked for more information. You may be asked for more information anyway.

tranquility

A claim for EIC can often be held up until the w-2s from the empolyer are uploaded through the social security database. There are many people who claim EIC and attach false w-2 information and file early in the hope the IRS gives the refund before the w-2 is found to be false. This year there has also been a problem with the telephone tax credit being overclaimed and there is a hold on returns with a claim of an unusual amount here too.

Don't worry about it. It's just that your filing profile fits an area where there is a lot of fraud right now. Wait a little and they'll send you out the money. Even then, with the simplicity of your return, why would you need to worry about an audit? If your w-2 legitimate and you have a child, no worries.

maryjo

Each year the IRS targets certain, specific factors or "flags" to review a select amount of returns for accuracy.

If you only had one W2, then you were probably flagged because of your dependent, and claiming EIC. I hope that your dependent is your own child who lived with you more than six months of the year. Otherwise, you are probably going to be asked for more information. You may be asked for more information anyway.
Yes, he is my child and has lived with me since the day he was born.

Can you not claim the EIC and the claim a dependent? It asked if I wanted to see if I qualified for it. I didnt even know what it was. So I went through it, answered the questions, and it said I qualified.

I did my taxes again last night without sending them of course and I came up with the same exact thing.

I would never try to lie or cheat on my taxes. I think its horrible! If I dont qualify for the EIC tax credit then I wont take. But it was an honest mistake...not me trying to cheat and lie to get more money.

Thanks for your reply though. I appreciate your help.

maryjo

A claim for EIC can often be held up until the w-2s from the empolyer are uploaded through the social security database. There are many people who claim EIC and attach false w-2 information and file early in the hope the IRS gives the refund before the w-2 is found to be false. This year there has also been a problem with the telephone tax credit being overclaimed and there is a hold on returns with a claim of an unusual amount here too.

Don't worry about it. It's just that your filing profile fits an area where there is a lot of fraud right now. Wait a little and they'll send you out the money. Even then, with the simplicity of your return, why would you need to worry about an audit? If your w-2 legitimate and you have a child, no worries.

To be honest, I am not smart enough to even think about doing something like that...much less trying it! LOL!! I would never try to cheat on my taxes. I didnt claim anything else but my son and the EIC and I put my W-2 info in just like it says on the paper. I guess I just got "lucky". LOL!

But I appreciate your help. Do you know if I should not have tried to claim the EIC credit? I only did it because Turbo Tax said I qualified. I guess because of how little I made last year. I am not sure.

fairisfair

if you only made $14K last year, with a child, that is a qualifying child, then you most certainly would have qualified for the EIC. Is it possible that someone else claimed your child as a dependent? (since you apparently claimed both the exemption and the EIC) Anyway, I did read where almost 100,000 tax returns were being delayed, it is probably nothing to worry about.

LdiJ

To be honest, I am not smart enough to even think about doing something like that...much less trying it! LOL!! I would never try to cheat on my taxes. I didnt claim anything else but my son and the EIC and I put my W-2 info in just like it says on the paper. I guess I just got "lucky". LOL!

But I appreciate your help. Do you know if I should not have tried to claim the EIC credit? I only did it because Turbo Tax said I qualified. I guess because of how little I made last year. I am not sure.
I am sure that you were eligible for the EIC, based on what you have said, so of course you should have claimed it. Just relax. You have a delay but hopefully not a long one.

maryjo

Well, I have the court papers saying that i get to claim our child for even years (2006 tax year) and my ex gets the odd. So next year he will get to claim him for his 2007 taxes. We did have this conversation because he thought he got to claim him this year. (the legal secretary who helped me with my papers specifically set it up this way so I could claim him to help me out a little financially since I was a SAHM when my ex threw us out.) So he KNOWS he isnt supposed to BUT he also found out he was going to have to pay taxes this year because he didnt have enough taken out through the year. So he was freaking about that. If he claimed him then he is in the wrong. But I bet, since he still has to pay with or without claiming our son (just less if he gets to claim him) that they wont flag his return since he has to PAY.

However, I had filed WEEKS before my ex did...if he has even filed yet. Last I checked, 3 or 4 weeks ago, he still had not filed.

maryjo

Thanks to both of you for answering me and being so kind. I will relax now and try not to worry about it. Its just been frustrating and scary and it comes on the heels of a very frustrating year. I had read that the IRS likes to audit people when they get divorced but I didnt think it would happen to me since I have so little money! I am living with my parents, drive a really crappy looking (and sounding) car, and am just working hard and trying to get my life back together. I just really didnt NEED this! LOL! Then again....who does? LOL!

But thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">