• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anonymous tip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Azog1

What is the name of your state? New York, NYC

New York City.

Five days ago I recieved a phone call from my next-door neighbors, stating that two detectives knocked on their door the previous night at 9:30PM. They answered the door and the detectives entered and proceded to ask questions about me, the main one being: "does this person own any handguns?". They had recieved an anonymous tip stating that I did.

Handguns are severly restricted in NYC. The tip included my name (misspelled) & description (inc. distinguishing marks), house description (no address, it's not posted, did include the neighbor's address though), and which room the handguns were located. The detectives had tried my doors first but, I had retired early that evening and did not hear them. My neighbors (normal, married w/ children types) proceded to give a stellar endorsement of me: they know of no weapons, he (me) is like family, he's such a nice guy, he grows tomatos for cryin' out loud, shovels our snow when we are'nt around, etc. Some background: I'm white, private home in a nice upper middle class neighborhood, in my mid 30's with no police record, no known criminal associates, went to a exclusive (tested in), public, science high school and have some college. One of the detectives left his card and instructions for me to call him.

The next day the neighbors notified me of the happenings. I contacted my lawyer who really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I called the detective, who immediatly knew my name, and he told me of the anonymous tip and asked me if I posess any handguns, to which I replied: no. I then told the dt. that I do own a deer rifle (bolt action) which is licensed and registered in NYC and is located at another location outside NYC but in New York state. The dt. told me he had already checked the control section and had seen my permit (had it since 1989) and rifle registration (since 1998). In NYC, rifle/shotgun permits require renewal every 3 years w/ recent photos and an initial fingerprinting, so, they already have all the details of my I.D. The dt. then said he had checked my record and saw that I had none (I knew it would be spotless).
The dt. was very personable, and at this point even joked with me, and we discussed the hunting upstate a bit. I said I think I know who was responsible for the false tip (I am 99% sure who it is) and that it relates to a old grudge over women or, more accurately, girls, it was so long ago, which, is for the most part, true. I offered to state the "piece of work's" name but, the dt. said that because of the anonymous nature of the tip, that this was futile. I should have mentioned that the "piece of work" left a death threat against me on my answering machine a few years prior but, it got erased so, it probably would not have helped anyway. The "piece of work" does have a police record for various drugs, domestics, etc. but, I neglected to mention this information as well.
The dt. said that they had planned to return that evening but, because I replied to their request for contact, this was unnecesary. The dt. asked for a call-back phone number and I gave my home number and stated that it is the line I was on at the moment (which I'm sure he already knew, blocked number or not). I then asked: "so that's it, this is done with?" to which the dt. replied: "yes". I thanked him for taking the time to talk with me and said "goodbye".
Should I believe him? It's been 5-6 days since this happened, if they were going to execute a search warrant, wouldn't it have happened by now? One would think that after all this time that if I did posess (I don't) said weapon(s) that there has been ample time to dispose of it/them. Does not a judge require at least one piece of corrorborating evidence when issuing a search warrant based on a anonymous tip? Might they still want to interview me? Could I still be a "person of interest" they might be trying to gather evidence against? When, if ever, can I be sure the police are'nt wasting my tax dollars, investigating little ol' gentle me? I am a very private individual and am horrified that my life may be scrutinized for the forseeable future.

ANY feedback would be appreciated.

Azog1

anonymous caller I.D.'d

The piece of *hit that falsely accused me, very convieniently called a mutual friend (don't know WHY he still associates w/ the piece of *hit, nostalgia, I think) the day after the dt.s were at the nieghbor's. The mutual friend thought he detected a note of "fishing" for info. The P.O.S. did not inquire about me but, due to the fact that they had not spoken for a long (months) time and, the general "shoot the breeze" tone of the conversation, along w/ the timing of the call and, the fact that the P.O.S. is the ONLY one who would do this to me, positivly (in my eyes) I.D. him, at least to me. I should pull the same **** on him!

Azog1

disappointing

When I happened upon this BBS it appeared to be a helpful, informative site. This, so far, is not the case.
I think my post was professional and succinct but so far the only replies I've gotten is childish, verbal dribble! One would think people have better things to do, other than ribbing someone who politely posts a Q they are reasonably concerned with.
Oh well, I guess it takes all types to make the world go 'round but, dang folks, get a life!

You Are Guilty

When I happened upon this BBS it appeared to be a helpful, informative site. This, so far, is not the case.
I think my post was professional and succinct but so far the only replies I've gotten is childish, verbal dribble! One would think people have better things to do, other than ribbing someone who politely posts a Q they are reasonably concerned with.
Oh well, I guess it takes all types to make the world go 'round but, dang folks, get a life!
Sounds to me like you're the victim of the Patriot Act. Have you heard any odd noises on your telephone line lately (i.e., clicks or beeps)? Notice any strange characters hanging around your house? Any cargo/work/delivery vans parked on your block for more than a day?

Might be time to start planning your getaway. You can never be too prepared.

Good luck.

outonbail

Dude, what is it your so concerned with? You said yourself that after speaking with the detective, he told you his investigation concerning you and this mystery gun is over.

If the allegations against you, which were phoned in as a confidential tip are false, there is absolutely no reason for you to worry about being arrested because of it.

People who hold a grudge or have a screw loose in their head, phone in nonsense like this all the time. They do it as a way to harass someone with the idea that they'll remain anonymous, without the risk of being charged with filing a false report. The police know that this sort of thing does happen, so they'll check it out and if they find no evidence to validate the tip, they don't take it any further. It's a complete waste of their time and they have much more serious crime activity to worry about, than unsubstantiated, finger pointing over some sour grape situation like this.

To lose any sleep over this person's petty prank, is only awarding them the satisfaction of success. To call in a false tip on them, just so you can get even, is lowering yourself to participate in a game of stupidity at their level and I advise against it.

Now if the allegation is true, then there's the chance your still in for a visit. But you can't expect anyone on this board to know any more about your troubles than what you've posted. Nor would anyone have any clue as to what or who the detective believes is telling the truth.

So, what exactly is the legal question your looking for answers to?

Last edited:

Azog1

under the microscope?

yeah, I already know I should'nt be too stressed out over this but, as with everything in life; knowledge is power. Also, unlike me to them, the police are under no obligation to tell me the truth.

"just because you're paranoid does'nt mean they're not out to get 'ya"

I'm not fearful of arrest, just wondering if i'll return home to broken locks/doors, my possesions scattered and/or broken, and a houseful of police. Also conerned with being accosted upon leaving my residence. None of this do I welcome or deserve.

quoted from original post:

"It's been 5-6 days since this happened, if they were going to execute a search warrant, wouldn't it have happened by now? One would think that after all this time that if I did posess (I don't) said weapon(s) that there has been ample time to dispose of it/them. Does not a judge require at least one piece of corrorborating evidence when issuing a search warrant based on a anonymous tip? Might they still want to interview me? Could I still be a "person of interest" they might be trying to gather evidence against? When, if ever, can I be sure the police are'nt wasting my tax dollars, investigating little ol' gentle me? I am a very private individual and am horrified that my life may be scrutinized for the forseeable future."

and yes, I was just fuming when I contemplated turning the tables on the creep who's responsible for the false claim. I'll leave the retribution to the Lord.

Azog1

additional accusations?

What if the a$$wipe is'nt satisfied yet and decides to try some other fictitious finger pointing?
What if he claims meth making or pot growing or bomb making, or some other disingenuous malarchy? This would mean feds, right? Are their criteria more permissive as far as anonymous tips go? Obviously, the feds have more resources/techniques to throw at the percieved problem so this would be several magnitudes worse/ disrupting.
Not that I would do it but, hypothetically, a revenge accusation, against the f*ckface would prolly prevent him from future lies about me directed at the powers that be, plus, due to what a mutual friend says about the piece of sh*t, he actually DOES have a criminal record and prolly has things to hide.

mark1905

I agree.. seems it's mainly a bunch of snot nosed 22 year old law school wanna-be's attempting to either A) Dream of being a big shot lawyer someday or B) Get kicks off of making stupid comments while mommy and daddy pay the tution check or C) Flirt with a member of the opposite sex who they hope might actually become a bigger breadwinner someday.

In one free phone call to any competent lawyer, you can get a straight and knowledgeable answer that leaves 95% of these wanna-be's scratching their head while they attempt to spit out latin terminology in the futile attempt to sound educated.

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">