• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fathers will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lray5406@yahoo.

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I owed my father money on a loan took out in
his name. Do I owe it to the estate still? There
are three siblings (including me) and I feel I
would be paying them when I did not borrow
the money from them. I am confused on this,
please help.

justalayman

if you owed money to your father, then yes, you owe it to his estate. You would not be paying your siblings anymore now than if you had already repaid your father and the money in his hand then would be distributed as the will or the laws of intestate succession direct.

If you are to recieve a share of the estate, your debt should be able to be taken out of the amount you are to inherit.

BlondiePB

if you owed money to your father, then yes, you owe it to his estate. You would not be paying your siblings anymore now than if you had already repaid your father and the money in his hand then would be distributed as the will or the laws of intestate succession direct.

If you are to recieve a share of the estate, your debt should be able to be taken out of the amount you are to inherit.
Agree...however, the OP is trying to weasel out of paying it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">