• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jakslammer

I was wondering how I might go about taking my employer (One of the Big 3)to small claims court. Here is the problem. In October of 98 I got divorced. At that time I called emp. and informed them of such. In April I received a letter telling me that my children (whom I'm suppose to supply insurance for per div. decree)and wife weren't covered. I called them and was told that they didn't know I was divorced.In August, I got a letter saying that I owed them $6000.00 for benefits paid on her behalf. I sent them an explanation letter and received a reply back that the balance was reduced to $800. (As a favor!)They have no proof that I didn't call and I have no proof that I did. Here is what I do have: 1) A letter from X-wife's insurance company showing that she had her own coverage prior to the divorce. 2)Documentation of call to my insurance company, agent for such informed me that no claims were made on her behalf after divorce. 3)Since div. decree requires that I supply ins. for children, that qualifies my plan as a family plan (me and two children)so I don't see how her being insured cost the comp. any more money.

JETX

I read your message, but only found one question in it...
"how I might go about taking my employer (One of the Big 3)to small claims court."

Find out who the registered agent for service is (contact your state corporate registry folks). Then, go to the Small Claims court in the jurisdiction where the company is located and ask the clerk for a complaint package. Fill out the forms, pay your money and then wait for the complaint (summons) to be served on them and their response. Gather your information together and appear on the scheduled date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">