• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Airline Reservation Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slo54

Two weeks prior to a airline flight to Hong Kong, we purchased two tickets from a travel agent. She mentioned that our flights were confirmed and issued us tickets for 9/22/00 along with our seat numbers on our flight itinerary.

We are New York State residents. On the day of our flight, we were denied boarding. The ticket agent said the coding for our tickets only indicated a standby status and we were told to stand aside. We were, however, confirmed for our return flight according to the system.

There were no available seats and we could not fly that night. The next day we went back to the travel agent and they denied that they did anything wrong. When we referred them to the standby coding, they said it was irrelevant. However, when they checked their reservation system, we were confirmed for 9/23/00 which they could not explain.

I have complained to the the airline and their conclusion to an investigation was that there was a "miscommunication between them and the travel agent." However, their contention was that we had already taken the flight on 9/23. I mentioned to them that I had no choice as I had already paid for tours in Hong Kong that will start two days after I have arrived. They have agreed to pay for one day's lost hotel accommodations and travel expenses, but have balked about reimbursement of my two airline tickets I have requested. Instead, they are offering a $400 discount on my next flight with them. I countered with an offer for two equivalent tickets.

What rights and possible restitution do I have since I was not provided services on the day which I paid for? I have initiated a suit in small claims court against both the airline and travel agent.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">