• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank paid itself with joint account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

virginia res

What is the name of your state? Virginia
my mom passed away in october and shortly thereafter (a couple of months?) after being advised of her passing, her credit union took all of the money out of a JOINT bank account she had with my father to pay off the credit card debt for the credit union visa she had. can they take this money out of a JOINT account?

incidentally, ALL of the money taken from the account was tax relief deposited there after my mother's death by my father.

Last edited:

virginia res

responses to questions

The credit union was sent a letter from my father that mom had passed away (sent to all creditors).
The account is still open but with a zero balance as the credit union took all of the balance, which was $1600.
How can he get this back? does he have to sue the credit union?

Dandy Don

Credit union's action was improper but it won't do your dad any good to sue because he will lose. They would have been first in line for payment if they had filed a claim against the estate.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">