• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Costs associated with non-dependents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kastle_kreator

What is the name of your state? CA

I incurred upwards of $40,000 in surgery & treatment (cancer) costs in USA for my father who is not a dependent and lives outside of the USA with no health insurance. My parents lived with me for about 4 months during the treatment.

Is there any provision for taking a deduction for these kind of expenses?

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

thanks,
kk

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA

I incurred upwards of $40,000 in surgery & treatment (cancer) costs in USA for my father who is not a dependent and lives outside of the USA with no health insurance. My parents lived with me for about 4 months during the treatment.

Is there any provision for taking a deduction for these kind of expenses?

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

thanks,
kk
In order to claim medical expenses for someone, that person must be your dependent. Unfortunately, unless your father lives in Mexico or Canada, he cannot qualify to be your dependent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">