• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left bag in hotel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

msamples95

Bag left at hotel, New Orleans

My friend was on a business trip and left a bag with check book, social security number and documents in the hotel room. Upon returning back home realized bag was still there, contact hotel. No sign of bag. Then a few days later they found it and said they would ship it. It has been over a month. Is the hotel liable for the bag?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Bag left at hotel, New Orleans

msamples95 said:
My friend was on a business trip and left a bag with check book, social security number and documents in the hotel room. Upon returning back home realized bag was still there, contact hotel. No sign of bag. Then a few days later they found it and said they would ship it. It has been over a month. Is the hotel liable for the bag?

My response:

Realizing that your friend knows that this was his fault, and should not be the hotel's expense, I would like to know what the hotel management said after your friend offered to send the hotel a pre-paid Fed-Ex shipping box along with a Certified Bank Check for $10.00 to cover their labor for packing and delivering the package to Fed-Ex, for delivery to your friend ?

"Oh gee, he didn't think of that".

People leave things in hotels all the time. Your friend is not the only one - - and won't be the last. Does that mean that the hotel must "eat" the expense of returning such items to their rightful owners ?

If you want things done, especially when it's your mistake, you've got to pay for the services being requested.

IAAL

M

msamples95

First of all!

He went threw at least two weeks of speaking to one persons voice mail and playing phone tag. Then after a week the woman claimed she seen the bag and she would ship it. Then when called again she said well it should be arriving shortly because I don't see it sitting where it was before. She never shipped it or she gave the responsibility to someone else to handle. The bag had social security information in it as well as check books, and checking and savings account statements. The issue of who was fitting the bill for the fed ex is not a concern that was brought up by the hotel and certainly would have been a small price to pay to get the bag back. I would not be suprised now if one of the hotel staff is trying to use the checks and his identity by now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">