• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Code Adam procedure/liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cheezehead

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I recently visited the DeltaPlex facility in Grand Rapids. My 10 yr old and I were separated during the period when the auditorum was being vacated by thousands of people. He was in the elevator, I yelled at him to get out, the door closed as he tried to exit. We were on the third floor, there was a stranger (one man) in the elevator with him, the elevator is next to an exit leading to the parking lot. Most people were using the bleachers to get to lower levels, since the stairs were closed off and the elevator very slow.

The security guard was standing next to the elevator, leaning on a gate he had closing off the stairway. He refused to let us go down the stairs to meet the elevator, or to do anything himself to assure my son's safetly. I started to explain what happened, he said he saw it and that there was nothing he could do.

A few minutes later the elevator returned and Thank God my son was on it. I went to the 1st floor to ask for the head of security. A woman used a walkie talkie and told me I could go up to the 3rd floor to talk to the guy up there (with a smile on her face). I insisted on the head person, another man claiming to be in charge met me there. After hearing my complaint he went to talk to the guard on 3rd floor, then came back and asked what I wanted him to do. I said anyone that incompetent should not be working there. He said he woudn't fire someone because I lost my son.

I told him that my complaint is that he refused to let me rescue my son, that he refused to enact Code Adam - which I believe he is legally required to do. He said he didn't know the name of the guard, but assured me he had worked there for a long time and was an ex-police officer. He claimed he couldn't tell me if security was trained and licensed and familiar with Code Adam due to Homeland Security laws. I informed him of his personal responsibility if my son had not come back safely, reminded him that the guard's neck was not the only one on the line. He then assured me the guard would be fired. Somehow, I don't believe him. When I asked why he now changed his mind, he said our conversation was done because I called him a liar.

I have trouble thinking of when I've been more afraid, which makes me so angry I want to make sure they are not allowed to be so negligent ever again. This ruined what was supposed to be a fun (and very expensive) long weekend for us, I was a wreck the entire time, and still am fuming. Could someone please list any course of action we are able to take?

averad

Its my understanding that Code Adam only apply to federal buildings. Any other location practicing Code Adam is doing so at there own digression (Walmart, Sears etc).

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/ServiceServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=588
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Adam

Code Adam Participants
http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=591

The employer is not legally obligated to release corrective actions on there employees to you. What exactly are you looking for in retribution for this event?

Last edited:

fairisfair

no offense, but consider holding your kids hand while at events like that. It is very easy to get separated. The guard was an @ss, but it's not illegal to be an @ss.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, lastly - there is no "course of action" for you to take with regard to the venue. Nothing happened with your son.
I'm not saying that to be mean, as I do understand how scary of a situation that can be for you...just being real.

CdwJava

I concur with the prior posts - there is no action to be taken aside from further complaints to the venue.

This is also why I hold my sons' hands when I go things like this ... well, the youngest one anyway. But, even so, I know how a crush of people can sometimes pull the two of you apart.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">