• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependent not-related

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txgho1911

What is the name of your state? IN

My fiancé wants me to claim 2 children as dependants. She does not work and did not earn income in 2006. She is a full time student.
As I went through TaxActOnline I claimed the kids as not related and this increased my refund by $990.00 and after submitting the form recorded them as not living with me.
This is not what we intended and as I reviewed these questions if I answer the question of relationship as step child the form will read correctly as they live with me.
I support both of these kids and they have lived with me the whole year. Am I missing something in the way I am answering the question? Should I or can I retract the filed return that was submitted? If not should I submit a 1099x amended return?
From researching this forum I think I have done correctly claiming them as dependent and would not correctly claim them for the additional child deduction? Anyone know a better way to file this? Am I getting into trouble with this?What is the name of your state?

Silverplum

My fiancé wants me to claim 2 children as dependants. She does not work and did not earn income in 2006. She is a full time student.
As I went through TaxActOnline I claimed the kids as not related and this increased my refund by $990.00 and after submitting the form recorded them as not living with me.
This is not what we intended and as I reviewed these questions if I answer the question of relationship as step child the form will read correctly as they live with me.
I support both of these kids and they have lived with me the whole year. Am I missing something in the way I am answering the question? Should I or can I retract the filed return that was submitted? If not should I submit a 1099x amended return?
From researching this forum I think I have done correctly claiming them as dependent and would not correctly claim them for the additional child deduction? Anyone know a better way to file this? Am I getting into trouble with this?What is the name of your state?
Where's the father?? Is she divorced? Does the decree assign the children to her as tax deductions?

LdiJ

Unfortunately, you may not claim your fiance's children. You may claim your fiance, but not her children. There are two ways to claim people, as 1) Qualifying children and 2) Qualifying relatives (which includes people who have lived with you all year long but are not related to you). You cannot claim them as qualifying children, because they do not meet the relationship test. In order to claim a child as a qualifying relative, they cannot be a qualifying child of someone else, even if that person is not filing a tax return. The children are qualifying children of their mother, (and perhaps their father, or their grandparents) therefore they cannot be your qualifying relative.

These new rules went into effect in 2005. Prior to that you could have claimed the children, but you would have been ineligible for Earned Income Credit or the Child Tax Credit.

txgho1911

The father is a deadbeat retired army recruiter on his third wife AFAIK. He is more than 30k behind and out of state. Con artist and all. More trouble than is worth to take to court until the kids are older. Maybe never as they are both special needs children.

Mother is not filing though she wants me to. Kids have been with me and the mother for 5 years.

Already claimed as dependent non-relative and the system did not flag it. IRS may reject it and I'll revise it.

IRS help line on 2 separate calls advised two different things. One said no and the other said yes.

Lets hear it for an end to the income tax. Let the economy drive the gov on a sales/use tax instead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">