• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fiance owes taxes, will this effect me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misskimred

What is the name of your state? MA--I own a home currently and my fiance owes several yearsin back taxes. If he moves in with me and helps pay bills, will the IRS put a lien on my house for his debt? We have the option to have him live in his mom's old house while he works M-F. If that is his primary residence but he still helps me with my bills, will they put a lien on my house? In other words, how do I prevent his situtation from effecting what I already have?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? MA--I own a home currently and my fiance owes several yearsin back taxes. If he moves in with me and helps pay bills, will the IRS put a lien on my house for his debt? We have the option to have him live in his mom's old house while he works M-F. If that is his primary residence but he still helps me with my bills, will they put a lien on my house? In other words, how do I prevent his situtation from effecting what I already have?
As long as you don't co-own any property, or have any joint accounts, his tax problems will have absolutely no effect on you. It does not matter that he lives with you and helps you pay your bills.

When you eventually get married, you still won't be able to co-own any property or have any joint accounts, and you will either have to file a separate tax return, or file a joint return and include an injured spouse form.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">