• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The company I worked for messed up my W-4

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SPACEMAN_SPIFF2

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I worked for a temporary service and when i was hired I filled out my W-4 form. I claimed that I was single, and claimed 1 on my taxes. This company required that I have direct deposit Into my bank account. Well, I didn't look at my check stubs, because i had direct deposit, and I was working 60 to 68 hours a week, so i figured I would make a pretty decent amount of money. So I didn't even question the amount I was bringing home each week. Well, I worked for them for around 6 or 7 months, and was finally hired by the company I was working at as a permanent employee. I noticed right away that I was miking a significant amount less after i was hired by them, and was still being payed the same rate of pay.

So I went to the temporary service and asked them to show me a copy of my W-4 form that i had filled out. When they showed it to me, it showed that I had claimed myself being single, and that I had claimed 1 on my taxes. Well, they had my information In their computer system showing a very different amount. They showed me as being married, and claiming 3 dependents on my taxes. I simply couldn't believe it. No wonder I was getting more money each week when I worked for them.

My question Is can I hold them accountable for this drastic error? I think that I am going to have to owe money on my taxes as a result of their error. I did a turbotax tax form, and I think to the best of my knowledge I am going to owe 225 dollars on my Federal taxes. I haven't been able to go have my taxes professionally done, since I am a little short on money at the moment. If I am going to owe, then there will be no money for me to have the tax preparation taken out of as I usually do each year.

Any help I can get on this would be greatly appreciated.

SPACEMAN_SPIFF2112

FlyingRon

Look at it this way, you avoided giving the government an interest free loan of that $225 that you would have anyhow. You owe the tax. Maybe your company will make you an interest-free loan to compensate for their error.

LdiJ

Nothing really changed for you. Your tax was still the same, its simply that instead of getting a refund you received more money in your check.

moburkes

And, you were responsible for verifying your check, regardless of the number of hours that you worked. They made a mistake (its legal to make mistakes), and you failed to catch it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">