• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Offer a settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moz612

I'm being sued over 2 payments made from an auto dealership from 2 years ago. I purchased the car in Jan 1999 and by March 99, I still had not received payment information. I called the finance manager, and he said that they would make the payments, without mention of paying the dealership back. I thought that was goodwill, and never thought about it again. A year later, I get a notice from the dealership that they want to be reimbursed. To cut to the chase I'm now being sued for these 2 payments and lawyers fees. The payments total $776 with a $1000 for fees. I'm thinking of offering $500 just have them stop bothering me. Please advise if this is wise or just go to court.

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

moz612 said:
I'm being sued over 2 payments made from an auto dealership from 2 years ago. I purchased the car in Jan 1999 and by March 99, I still had not received payment information. I called the finance manager, and he said that they would make the payments, without mention of paying the dealership back. I thought that was goodwill, and never thought about it again. A year later, I get a notice from the dealership that they want to be reimbursed. To cut to the chase I'm now being sued for these 2 payments and lawyers fees. The payments total $776 with a $1000 for fees. I'm thinking of offering $500 just have them stop bothering me. Please advise if this is wise or just go to court.

Thanks!
My response:

Why ? What's their impetus ? If it were me, I'd continue with the litigation and obtain a judgment against you, including costs and attorney's fees.

That was the lamest excuse for not paying two payments I've ever heard of. $776.00 worth of goodwill ? You've got to be kidding; and that's exactly what a judge will say to you as he bangs his gavel on the bench.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">