• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland Intestate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aewell

What is the name of your state? MD.

My father passed away without a will. I am his only child. He was also married to my step mom but they had been living in separate homes for at least 3+ years prior to his death. The state of Maryland has "Limited Divorce" status based on voluntary separation. My former stepmom and I are at odds over land gifted to my father by my grandparents 40 years ago well prior to their marriage. The land was near my grandparents who gifted land to their sons and daughters to live on and then pass down to the next generation. I I aware that intestate is the guide in this case but can I argue the following in MD probate court:

1) Due to Limited Divorce my stepmom should not receive the first $15,000 from the estate (as spouse).
2) Since the land is not titled to my stepmom in any way can I argue that they were technically divorced and the land not distributed to her after his death.
3) My former stepmom inventoried his assets but missing from the inventory were items like an expensive watch I purchased for his retirment from Brazil.
4) My stepmom had an insurance policy to cover my father's funeral expense. However, she also submitted a claim to be reimbursed for the same funeral expenses from his estate. Is this attempted fraud.

Thanks for your assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">