• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Car dealer obliged to notify buyer of recall(s)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nyny1289

What is the name of your state? New York
I just bought a new car in New York State. After surfing the web, I realize that there are two recall campaigns for this make and model.
Question: Must Dealer notify buyer of already announced recalls or corrective measures already taken on a brand new vehicle? Common sense tells me that Dealer should tell the buyer that either a) a recall affected the vehicle and problem was already fixed or b) the recall does not affect the vehicle being sold. This would be instead of waiting for the buyer to discover the problem later or receive a notice from the manufacturer at a later date. Any knowledge or experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!What is the name of your state?

What is the name of your state? New York
I just bought a new car in New York State. After surfing the web, I realize that there are two recall campaigns for this make and model.
Question: Must Dealer notify buyer of already announced recalls or corrective measures already taken on a brand new vehicle? Common sense tells me that Dealer should tell the buyer that either a) a recall affected the vehicle and problem was already fixed or b) the recall does not affect the vehicle being sold. This would be instead of waiting for the buyer to discover the problem later or receive a notice from the manufacturer at a later date. Any knowledge or experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!What is the name of your state?
Usually when your vehicle is part of a recall then you can bring it into the dealership and they have to repair the malfunctioning item free of charge. My former employer owned a Ford truck which had a defect and the Ford Dealership repaired and replaced the mechanical item free of charge.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Usually when your vehicle is part of a recall then you can bring it into the dealership and they have to repair the malfunctioning item free of charge. My former employer owned a Ford truck which had a defect and the Ford Dealership repaired and replaced the mechanical item free of charge.
Great answer - just not to this question.

OP's question, in a nutshell: Is a dealer selling a new vehicle legally obligated to inform the buyer of recall work that had not yet been performed on the vehicle?

Great answer - just not to this question.

OP's question, in a nutshell: Is a dealer selling a new vehicle legally obligated to inform the buyer of recall work that had not yet been performed on the vehicle?
I would imagine the answer to be, yes.

moburkes

I don't see anything listed where they would have to disclose that. Also, I'm not sure that the vehicle OP is asking about is NEW, new. Some people buy a used car and say they bought a new car (new to them).

You Are Guilty

Generally, even for "new" new cars, it's the manufacturers' duty to inform the owners of the recall. Sometimes, that may trickle down to new car dealers, but the manufacturer is always on the hook. If the car is anything less than 100% brand new, there is no obligation on the dealer's part - it's a good business idea, but it's still the manufacturers' duty to tell, and the owner's obligation to check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">