• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does name on bills/lease make an individual responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LizNorfolk

I had a roommate that I asked to leave after he had numerous parties without notifying me (I was the head of household) where illegal activities took place.
At that time, this individual owed me money for back rent and bills. We made a verbal agreement that he would pay me back in weekly installments. That was in August and no money has changed hands.
He actually owes me $425 to cover back bills and rent.
If he refuses to pay this amount, is it possible to sue him for his portion of rent (he never made an attempt to have his name removed from the lease) and bills (on which his name appears) through their entire terms?

thank you.
Elizabeth Scheessele

JETX

Probably not. Most leases have a 30-day notice provision that the tenant (the roommate qualifies as a tenant), be given 30 days notice before being kicked out. You probably breached that agreement, so the tenant might very well be able to recover from YOU for the rent that was paid at the time of your kicking him out.

My suggestion:
The $450 is a small price to pay to get this guy out of your hair. It will cost you another $100 or so, plus time from work, etc. to drag him into court for a 'maybe' win. And that it is IF he doesn't counter-action you for the above mentioned rent, deposit, damages of your unexpected breach of the lease, etc. I would seriously consider letting this one go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">