• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copies of signed documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA but looking for all states especially MO

This came up on another site and I am searching for actual law to fit my suspicions. The question was raised about documents signed by a suspected shoplifiter. these documents being Civil Demand and acknowledgment forms although there was a third I dont recall. Now the OP on other site stated he was not given copies of these forms! A Loss Prevention Supervisor from a store claimed he never gives these forms to suspect and its againist company policy! Now he briefly mentions giving something to PD but isnt clear on if its all these forms or just one. Its my belief that this is unlawful. These documents have inventory of stolen items on them among other things that can be used againist them in court. Without a copy of this signed document anything could be put on them! So my question is this is this act unlawful? Is it possible this store actually has a policy not to give suspects copies of documents they sign?

Here is quote from LPS on other site "I've never given copies of anything to anyone except for the responding police officers. Any LP officers that do otherwise are foolish and/or violating company policy.

A word to the poster, never sign anything without reading and fully understanding it.

Did you sign 3 forms? 1 would have been the stolen item inventory, 1 would have been the civil demand, and 1 would have been the custodial release. If this case does go to court then you can have your attorney obtain copies through the discovery process."

CdwJava

The store can do what they want. If they want to give the suspect copies of the documents, they can do so. If they do NOT want to give copies away, they can do that as well. If the suspect later wants to claim up and down that they never signed the document in question, then they are free to make that claim and infer that the store forged their signature or filled in property later.

The bottom line is that there is no real requirements one way or the other here. The forms are generally going to be a matter of store policy, and no necessarily state law (unless state law requires that a civil demand notice or acknowledgment be signed or delivered). At least in CA I have never heard of this being the case.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">