• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's the Deal on Recalls??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ICYFIRES

I purchased a new car in 1994. In 1996, being just off warranty, a part failed in the engine, causing extensive damage. I had to pay approx. $1,650. for the repair. In November, 2000 I received a recall notice for that exact part that failed!! I called the manufacturer, supplied them with an invoice, cancelled check, notarized statement from the mechanic, and took the car to a local dealer to have that part checked. I want a refund of that $1,650. The representative from the manufacturer has not called me back in 3 weeks, I am put on hold for another rep for as long as 2 hours. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?? I am in Florda.

I

ICYFIRES

I don't believe suing the dealer would work because I purchased the vehicle in NY in 1994 and have since moved to Florida. However, I would like to sue the mfg. for the amount I feel is owed. But for under $2,000, would it be worth it??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

People move all the time. Let the dealer worry about jurisdictional issues and objecting. If they appear, great. If they don't, you may get a judgment against the dealer.

The point is, you may, in fact, have a valid Cause of Action for a refund if your discovery of that fact was recent. And, the only way to find out is by filing in Small Claims court, and allowing a judge to hear the evidence, and make a decision.

I can't tell you if $2,000.00 is "worth it". For some it is, and for others like Bill Gates, probably not. This is something only you can determine.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 01-13-2001 at 09:35 AM]

I

ICYFIRES

Thank you for replying. I believe I WILL pursue a small claim against the manufacturer.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ICYFIRES said:
Thank you for replying. I believe I WILL pursue a small claim against the manufacturer.
My response:

Well, there ya go !! I raise my coffee cup and toast you on your endeavor and wish you much success ! Mazel Tov !

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">