• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

ned&sally

I live in St. Louis, Missouri and want to know how I can find out whether or not I still have time to file a lawsuit.

Two days after moving into a home I purchased April 28th, I had massive plumbing problems that cost $3000, and the lawyer who was helping me (a friend of a friend) promised to file in Sept. He never did and does not return my phone calls.

Do I still have time to file a small claims case? If not, do I have any recourse with this lawyer?

JETX

You didn't say what year this problem came up, or what action you might have taken (this could affect the statute 'clock).

In any case, Missouri has the following SOL (in years):
Sale of Goods: 4
Open Acct.: 5
Written Contract: 10

Assuming that this problem came up within the last 4 years, you still have time. Or if the repairs were written, you probably have 10 years (depending on what/how written).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">