• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Intoxication charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seriousbamaguy

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Hi,

I was recently arrested for PI. On the arresting officer's narrative, it said I was yelling obscene things to other police when I was not, which, several witnesses can testify to. Long story short, I was told to leave a friend's house after a party was broken up even though I told the officer I couldn't drive and planned on staying the night. I got 50 yards down the road and was tackled by the same officer. He didn't tell me to stop, he didn't read me my rights, just cuffed me and took me to jail after inflicting bodily injuries (I have pictures). I have one witness that said the officer was ranting how he was going to haul someone off to jail that night and it didn't matter who.

I pleaded not guilty at the arraignment and have another court date in just under a month. I would like to know what I should do to have either the charges dropped, or at least set something up where this would not be on my record. I cannot afford a lawyer and was not provided a public defendant at the arraignment. Thanks in advance for all of your advice!What is the name of your state?

moburkes

If you were drunk, and your witnesses were too, how can they be reliable? You could have gotten a ride home from someone, instead of attempting to walk home drunk.

seven53

He didn't read you your rights? Would you have kept your mouth shut instead of yelling obscenities if he had? You were drunk in public. Why would the officer need to read you Miranda? No point in questioning a drunk.

seriousbamaguy

The witnesses I have we're actually sober that night. The person who was going to give me a ride was one of them. I was not cursing at anyone and would never do that to an officer, especially since I had been drinking; in fact I was being very respectful.

I'm not trying to come off as innocent here I just wanted to know if it were possible to talk to the prosecutor about keeping this thing off of my record as long as I go to AA or something. I don't know how it all works that's why I'm asking. I mean this whole thing seems to be such a minor offense and there possibly could be an alternative to it. I've read some discussion on other threads but haven't found anything concrete.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">