• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Publishing Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Boler

Hi,
My first question is can a California attorney represent a client who lives in Nebraska which is the jurisdiction where the case needs to filed. The contract was signed in nebraska or would that person need to get an attorney from Nebraska.

My second question and the issue of the case is that the contract is between a writer and publisher. The publisher has breached the contract by not paying royalties on books sold, but we cannot determine the amount of damages because the publisher is refusing to allow us to look at the accounting records. Is there a unexpensive way to force the publisher to allow us to look at their accounting records. thanks

MB

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Boler said:
Hi,
My first question is can a California attorney represent a client who lives in Nebraska which is the jurisdiction where the case needs to filed. The contract was signed in nebraska or would that person need to get an attorney from Nebraska.

My second question and the issue of the case is that the contract is between a writer and publisher. The publisher has breached the contract by not paying royalties on books sold, but we cannot determine the amount of damages because the publisher is refusing to allow us to look at the accounting records. Is there a unexpensive way to force the publisher to allow us to look at their accounting records. thanks

MB
My response:

If the attorney is also licensed to practice law in Nebraska, then yes.

You're the writer, and you're using "made up" words like "unexpensive" ?

Without litigation, and unless there's a provision for an "open book" clause in the contract, then there is no way to see the the profit and loss sheets on your book sales. You need to file an action for "accounting" and "breach of contract".

IAAL

B

Boler

Thank You "I am always Liable"

Hi,
Thank you for your response. No, I am not the writer. I am a friend. The "unexpensive" was a typing error not made up word.Thanks again.

MB

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">