• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

insecure

What is the name of your state? NH

3 of us were in a Hannaford store yesterday. my purse was in the cart, one person filled the purse with a few things ($30.00). a few minutes later, the 2nd person picked up the purse and handed it to me, I then walked out of the store.
Store security got me on the way out, and got the other 2 when they were cashing out at the register. They called the cops, the cops came, we had to sign papers saying we wouldn't come back to the store for a year and then we were instructed to leave. Store security made a copy of the tape which shows what I described above and gave it to the police.
Now we where told that there will probably be warrents for our arrest and to call the police dept today to find out what is going on. Well, we called, the officer was on the road. We gave our name to have him call back, and we haven';t heard yet.
What will the next step most likely be?

racer72

Shoplifting is a misdemeanor, there very likely will not be a warrant for your arrest. The most likely scenario is you will get a citation in the mail that may include a fine or require you appear in court. If you have to appear in court, you will be fined and possible get probation.

You never mentioned the other penalty that you will likely receive. New Hampshire has a civil theft recover statute, this allows retailers to charge shoplifters a specific amount depending on the cost of the merchandise stolen and the cost of theft recovery process, in your case this could be up to $500. This demand will likely come from a law firm representing the retailer. This fine may also be tied to the criminal charges, pay the civil fine within a specifed period of time and no criminal charges will be forthcoming. Your trips to fetch your mail the next month or so should be exciting.

fairisfair

please explain your wise comment
you mean it needs explaining? and I thought it was quite self explanatory.

You removed goods from a retail store, they were found on your person, you did not pay for them. Your story reminds me of a bridge sale I once heard about. You will pay fines, you will be charged with a misdemeanor. And every person who ever conducts a background search on you will know that you are a thief.

There is that better??? :p

insecure

we were never told of any recovery laws that you mentioned. For two of us it is a first time offense, just do not know the repercussions of this. We were never even formally charged with anything

gawm

we were never told of any recovery laws that you mentioned. For two of us it is a first time offense, just do not know the repercussions of this. We were never even formally charged with anything
I don't think they do tell you at the store, most people find out through the demand letter.
In all likelihood, a fine, probation (don't forget probation cost) is all you will receive from the state. The store you stole from will probably get a few hundred from you in civil demand. The worst part will be shoplifting conviction showing up on you record when someone runs a background check for employment or whatever.
All that for $30:( :eek: :(

Kane

If you get charged, please talk to a lawyer. Many employers don't like hiring convicted thieves, and if you take a conviction, it's likely to stay with you for life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">