• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Disability Coverage in Employer Group Plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fermat

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was denied disability insurance coverage for a previous job. I assume it was because I told them I had been hospitalized for a heart condition, arrhythmia. I only stayed in the hospital one night after a procedure I had done because it was after midnight by the time they were done with me. The doctor told me that I was cured of this problem and I have been symptom free since over a year ago. I did not fight the decision because I knew I was leaving the job in a few months to return to graduate school. Perhaps this was a mistake. My question is, how much of this part of my medical history am I legally required to disclose on a future disability insurance application in order for them to honor my future claims, if any. I'm afraid that if I tell them that I once was diagnosed with this condition that they will deny me coverage. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Betty

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My question is, how much of this part of my medical history am I legally required to disclose on a future disability insurance application in order for them to honor my future claims, if any. I'm afraid that if I tell them that I once was diagnosed with this condition that they will deny me coverage. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
You must on an application for ins. answer all questions on the app. (including medical questions) truthfully. Usually complete details of the medical condition are requested such as dates, doctor's names & addresses, etc. You must furnish these details so your application can be underwritten.

fermat

Thank you for the reply. My next question would be, what is the legal definition of the word "hospitalized"?

moburkes

Thank you for the reply. My next question would be, what is the legal definition of the word "hospitalized"?
Since you were admitted, you were hospitalized.

Of course, you can always lie on your application, and pay your premiums. Then, when it is time to file the claim, get denied. It is up to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">