• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"sexual abuse" over the phone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kuriboh0604

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
Hi. I think this would be the right section to post this in...Anyway, I'm 21 and I'm in a really close relationship with a guy who's 16. We love each other very much, but I've told him I don't feel comfortable being officially in a realtionship until he's a bit older. Also, he lives across the country from me, so we talk only on the phone and the computer. He likes to flirt and show affection, and recently he's been pushing more for slightly more intimate flirting on the phone--not anything graphic or hard-core at all, just stuff that definitely couldn't be mistaken for pure friendship. He asked me what the laws are and I don't actually know. To err on the side of caution, I told him nothing beyond virtual "kisses" for now, but I've been trying to figure out what the laws actually are for interstate telephone communication with a 16-year-old. As best I can tell, where I live and where he lives (Washington state) the official "age of consent" is 16, and I looked at the sexual abuse of a minor laws in Title 18 of the US Code and everything there seems to be about people who have not yet turned 16. Another federal law I found seemed to say it was illegal to transmit sexually explicit material to anyone under 16. Does all of this mean that since he's over 16, I shouldn't worry, and should let him say whatever he's comfortable with? Or is there a law we'd be violating that I'm not finding?

Thanks!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
Hi. I think this would be the right section to post this in...Anyway, I'm 21 and I'm in a really close relationship with a guy who's 16. We love each other very much, but I've told him I don't feel comfortable being officially in a realtionship until he's a bit older. Also, he lives across the country from me, so we talk only on the phone and the computer. He likes to flirt and show affection, and recently he's been pushing more for slightly more intimate flirting on the phone--not anything graphic or hard-core at all, just stuff that definitely couldn't be mistaken for pure friendship. He asked me what the laws are and I don't actually know. To err on the side of caution, I told him nothing beyond virtual "kisses" for now, but I've been trying to figure out what the laws actually are for interstate telephone communication with a 16-year-old. As best I can tell, where I live and where he lives (Washington state) the official "age of consent" is 16, and I looked at the sexual abuse of a minor laws in Title 18 of the US Code and everything there seems to be about people who have not yet turned 16. Another federal law I found seemed to say it was illegal to transmit sexually explicit material to anyone under 16. Does all of this mean that since he's over 16, I shouldn't worry, and should let him say whatever he's comfortable with? Or is there a law we'd be violating that I'm not finding?

Thanks!
Try looking at the Federal Statutes...And Don't talk to him again until he is 18...;)

Kuriboh0604

I did, as I said, look at federal statutes, and all I could find referred to 16, not 18. If you're referring to anything in particular, could you tell me what?

ezmarelda

Have you ever watched Dateline NBC?...nevermind, let him go if it is "true love" he will still love you in 2 years.

Kuriboh0604

Okay, but does anyone have an actual law to referece or point me toward? All I am looking for is information about what laws would govern this situation and exactly what they are. If anyone has any such information, I would really greatly appreciate it. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">