• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about 490.1 Infraction in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nate7410

What is the name of your state? California.

I was caught shoplifting about $17 worth of stuff about a year ago. I was cited and released, and I showed up in court and plead guilty, because it was my first offense and I was kin of mortified and I just wanted to get it all over with. I guess they charged it as an infraciton, because when I was taking notes on it later, they told me it was penal code 490.1.

So, I found out that because it's an infraction, it is not eligible for expungement. =/ However, after reading up on the internet, I hear that as an infraction, it won't show up on my criminal record? So my question is, when I'm applying at a job with a private company, will they find out about it when they do a background check?

On another site I came across a lawyer's advice to someone saying that, on a job application to a private company, it might be prudent to deny ever committing a crime, and leave it up to the company to find it or not. Is that good legal advice? Is it a crime to lie to a private company about something like that?

Basically, here I am with a 490.1, and I want to show a clean record when I apply for work. What can I do, and what should I do?

And before anyone says it, yes, I am absolutely done with shoplifting forever. This has been one of the most stressful things I've ever dealt with.

Thank you.

outonbail

Most companies only ask about your convictions and felony arrests. I can't see an infraction hindering your employment opportunities any.

As far as an attorney advising you not to answer questions with the truth on job applications, I'll only say this. If they were to do a background check and discover you lied on your application, you will not be hired. No company will employ someone who they believe will not be truthful when questioned. The only doors you open with lies are exit doors.

Unless your going into politics, then you have to learn how to provide creative lies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">