• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impersonating a civilian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

explicit_spade

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I was at streetraces last night watching. It got broken up, I was the first car to leave and I got stopped. The cop asked for my drivers liscense, registration, insurance, and he said that he would also need my cell phone! I was like WTF?!?! Then not too long later, 2 of my friends call at different times, and the cop answered, and acted like he was me!!!

I am trying to figure out if him taking my cell phone was legal or not. That is my property, in my posession, and had nothing to do with the no front plate violation I was cited for.

Shay-Pari'e

Were you on the Cell phone when he was trying to talk to you?

You can't possibly be serious with this crap. Grow up .

ForFun

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I was at streetraces last night watching. It got broken up, I was the first car to leave and I got stopped. The cop asked for my drivers liscense, registration, insurance, and he said that he would also need my cell phone! I was like WTF?!?! Then not too long later, 2 of my friends call at different times, and the cop answered, and acted like he was me!!!

I am trying to figure out if him taking my cell phone was legal or not. That is my property, in my posession, and had nothing to do with the no front plate violation I was cited for.
The cop should not have taken your phone. However, there's nothing you can do about it now.

explicit_spade

Were you on the Cell phone when he was trying to talk to you?

You can't possibly be serious with this crap. Grow up .
No, I wasnt on the cell phone when he was trying to talk to him, it fell into the area between my door and seat, for all he knew I didnt have one!

And why couldnt I be serious about this? I think you would be pretty pissed too if a cop answered your phone and acted like they were you to find out where your friends are at!

CdwJava

Did you suffer any damages? If so, speak to an attorney. However, I doubt you suffered any damage by him answering your phone ... perhaps there was a business deal you lost out on?

Your only practical recourse is to speak to the officer's supervisor and complain about the behavior. Beyond that, there is really nothing more you can do.

Oh, and this might not happen if you stay away from street races. Cops get cranky at those things.

- Carl

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, I wasnt on the cell phone when he was trying to talk to him, it fell into the area between my door and seat, for all he knew I didnt have one!

And why couldnt I be serious about this? I think you would be pretty pissed too if a cop answered your phone and acted like they were you to find out where your friends are at!
You can be all the pissed off you want to be. But, you suffered no damages. Move along now...nothing to see here!

xylene

I was like WTF?!?!
Does "WTF" mean that you refused to surrender your cell phone and it was seized and then searched by the police? Were you at any point actually under arrest?

Or was it that you just gave it to him, like out of respect or some BS that the cop will claim...

Because the policeman is going to claim you gave it voluntarily.

Next time a policeman asks you a question or for something that belongs to you, go ahead and object. Say "No" You will find a get deal of satisfaction and growth of backbone in wathcing someone talk you up and down knowing they can't touch you.

Because this is the reality -
A policeman can claim he can arrest you to get information - thats legal.

However, if policeman suggests that he won't arrest you if you comply / answer - Know that only 2 scenarios are realistically going to be happening:

Either he can't or won't arrest you (unless you implicate yourself by answering quesions like a dummy. Or do something real dumb like lash out in anger)

Or He can and will arrest you, just as soon as he gets whatever he wants.

Bottom line - refuse any search or to cooperate in any way and then clam up...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">