• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will, Need to Administrate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fromblenda2u

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My father died with no will, and no estate to speak of nearly 2 years ago in Cook County, IL. I was able to settle all his affairs without any formal paperwork. This last week I unexpectedly received a small insurance distribution (less than $4000) check made out to "The Estate of". I need to know how to become an administrator or executor of his estate in order for the bank to cash the check.

Are there forms I can submit? Do I need to go to court in IL (I live in CA). Is there a simplified process for these small estate issues?

Thank you.

Dandy Don

Call or visit the Cook County courthouse to get your question answered about whether there is a special procedure for smaller estates. You will have to essentially open up a probate for this by filing to become administrator/personal representative and you will then receive a document called letters testamentary, authorizing you to handle all estate affairs. You take a certified copy of this document to the bank and you will then be allowed to cash the check.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

In NY State, you have to go to the courthouse where the deceased person lived at the time of death. Which means if the deceased lived in Brooklyn, NY, you have to go to Surrogate's court in Brooklyn, NY.

So... where did your father live when he passed away?

Second, if you have brothers and/or sisters, they have to waves their rights to become administraor.

So, ... do you have any siblings?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">