• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Lemon Law Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? TX

I have a question concerning TX lemon law. I'm using a free attorney who collects his fees from the auto manufacturer. My question is, I'm being told that because of the negative equity in the vehicle that a buyback is not going to happen unless I can come up with enough money to account for that negative equity. No where I am reading on TX law does it mention this.

This is the section that seems to apply to my question where negative equity is not mentioned:

2301.604. Replacement of or Refund for Vehicle

(a) A manufacturer, converter, or distributor that is unable to conform a motor vehicle to an applicable express warranty by repairing or correcting a defect or condition that creates a serious safety hazard or substantially impairs the use or market value of the motor vehicle after a reasonable number of attempts shall reimburse the owner for reasonable incidental costs resulting from loss of use of the motor vehicle because of the nonconformity or defect and:

(1) replace the motor vehicle with a comparable motor vehicle; or

(2) accept return of the vehicle from the owner and refund to the owner the full purchase price, less a reasonable allowance for the owner's use of the vehicle, and any other allowances or refunds payable to the owner.

(b) A refund made for a vehicle for which there is a lienholder shall be made to the owner and lienholder in proportion to each person's interest in the vehicle.

(c) As necessary to promote the public interest, the board by rule:

(1) shall define the incidental costs that are eligible for reimbursement;

(2) shall specify other requirements necessary to determine an eligible cost; and

(3) may set a maximum amount that is eligible for reimbursement, either by type of eligible cost or by a total for all costs.

If I am correct, why is my attorney telling me otherwise?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">