• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

T.O.D. will wiggle+abuse room possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ollinx

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello,

I am curious about the potential for abuse regarding a large estate with financial accounts set up for Transfer On Death... My grandfather was an estate lawyer for many many years and he insisted upon having a TOD will as the easiest method fo distributing property after he passed on. He insisted the best way of doing this would be to appoint his daughter the executor of the estate and give her power of attorney when he was incapable of representing himself. At this point there is only his daughter (our aunt) and his grandsons (us) left alive; he told us many times of his TOD will and how things would be distributed; 50% for daughter, 25% each for the 2 grandsons. The difficulty from our perspective is that our aunt is very non-communicative and quite eccentric. During his illness she refused to communicate with us and we were very sadly left in the dark about his condition and it was very difficult to speak with him directly at all. Near the end, she went so far as to withhold his location from us.

I'd like to chalk all of this up to her eccentricity - but without communication it is hard not to speculate as to her intentions.

So, my question is this - despite my grandfather's best TOD estate planning is there any possibility for abuse or on her part as the executor of the will? My brother and I live on the west coast while she and my gradfather live(d) in Florida. He had many different accounts and properties that we are not fully aware of... So, again, I don't want to believe she has bad intentions in any of this - but in case she does, I'm trying to figure out how best to protect myself and my brother from abuse.

Any advice regarding what to look out for or how to best protect ourselves at this point would be appreciated -

Thank you for your time and advice -

Dandy Don

There is no such thing as a Transfer on Death will, but the individual accounts/assets can be set up as TOD.

Do you happen to know if he had the assistance of an attorney when drafting this will?

Has he shown you a copy of the will?

What is the estimated value of his estate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">