• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL - Driving while License Revoked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmctransport

What is the name of your state? Illinois.
Hello everyone. Got a problem here that I hope someone can give an answer to. 3 Years ago I (and a roommate) stole a small cargo trailer with his car. Got caught, completed Probation successfully, paid all fines. Never in any legal trouble aside from this. Fast forward to now: 3 nights ago, I was in one of those roadside checks, and lo-and-behold, I come to find that my license is Revoked! The officer was decent (many here will argue that cops aren't polite, but this one was), and explained that it had been Revoked for nearly 2 and a half years now. I was surprised at this since I never received any kind of DMV letter about this, and I've been at the same address for 6 years. So, I rode to the county lockup, paid my Bond, & my friends drove me home in my car. Here's the question. What defense (if any) do I offer in Court (on the 24th of April), in order to stay out of jail? The officer told me this is a Misdemeanor charge.
I have just gotten a really good paying job (they know nothing of this mess), and am closing on a house in 2 days. I can't afford a paid attorney, and don't know how to handle the charge with the State's Attorney's office. They say they can't talk to me, and I feel like I don't know what to do since I can't afford an attorney.
Anyone's help or advice on this would be really great to hear.
Thanks.
Kelly.

gawm

It is very rare that someone gets jail time for this charge unless it is a repetitive occurrence. The best thing for you to do is BEFORE your court date, find out why your license is suspended, pay the fines, get it reinstated. If you do that, there is a good chance the judge will give you the lower end of the fine scale. The prosecutor may even reduce the charge to civil violation. No guarantees, but that's what happened with me.

kmctransport

re: reply about reinstating my License

Thanks, GAWM, for the update. I went over to my local DMV and asked them about the Revocation. The answer I got was that yes, it was Revoked for the charge that I originally got into trouble for back in 2004 (the thing with my roommate & his car, in my original Post). Here's the problem though, the DMV says that I can't reinstate my License until AFTER the Final Disposition of the current case. So, I do agree that it would look good to have a valid license in hand on the 24th, but the DMV says I can't do anything till this is all done with. :-(
Any other things I should do, in the meantime before court?
Thanks so much for the reply GAWM (and anyone else). I'm really stressed out about this mess I'm in.
KMC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">