• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

payroll deduction for customer's non-payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scotty36

I am a route salesman in indiana for a beverage producer.
My employer has threatened to deduct from my pay an outstanding invoice debt from one of my customers. The customer makes an invoice of their own from the one I give them and will only pay from the amounts on theirs. The customer has missed an invoice and therefore has not payed, and it is overdue. The customer was given a charge authorization by someone other than me, and the invoice in question was delivered when I was on vacation by someone else. The amount is $524.00. Can they legally do this?

B

buddy2bear

Unless you have given written permission, a company can deduct nothing from your paycheck other than standard payroll taxes, court ordered garnishments and/or union dues. Check your State's wage & hour laws, payroll laws, or call your States wage & hour division.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">