• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must I answer the door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Indiana

If a police officer shows up at my door, do I HAVE to answer the door? Is it a criminal charge if i do not answer? I am trying to avoid being questioned by certain police officers that have a knack of twisting the words I say in police reports to meet their needs. So to avoid all contact with them is optimal.

CdwJava

You don't have to speak to them. However, then their report only contains the other guy's version of events. It will also likely contain all their attempts to contact you and your intentional dodging of them. So, a DA might decide that a warrant should be issued for your arrest. After all, if he only has the other guy's account, it may look bad for you.

If you are just a witness, this scenario is not so likely. But, if you are alleged to have committed a crime, you might consider speaking to an attorney and, perhaps, writing out a statement - that way your words can NOT be "twisted".

- Carl

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is it possible that a witness who continually avoids the police could be charged with hindering prosecution?

Not answering the door for a police officer is perfectly fine. There are legal means to compel answers to questions if a case is being prosecuted.

CdwJava

ForFun said:
Is it possible that a witness who continually avoids the police could be charged with hindering prosecution?
Only if you avoid a subpoena or summons. Then, of course, a warrant can always be issued.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">