• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eligible for DI due to pregnancy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhoKnows234

New Jersey

I work for the Federal Government and I pay into OASDI and plan on going on maternity leave at the beginning of October. Im wondering if I am eligible for state temporary disability insurance due to pregnancy? My employer doesnt offer any short term disability insurance and I've tried Metlife, Allstate and Aflac to get short term disability insurance but they either can't do it for me, its only available through my employer or it doesnt cover just maternity leave only if there are complications. I asked a girl at work that was out last year what she did and whether she tried for the state disability and she was the one that told me we werent eligible and that when she went out she used her acquired vacation and sick time. Ive just recently become full time at my job and by the time i want to go out on leave (2 weeks before my due date) I will only have a total of 5 weeks leave time. Is there any other options out there? Can I do anything else other than either go out without pay or come back to work 3 weeks after delivering? Please help.

moburkes

It is my understanding that you are not eligible. You can wait to go on disability. Many women work until their due date. Potentially, since our babies set the terms under which they are ready to see the world, that could give you 1 1/2 to 2 more weeks after the birth.

No individual disability company covers maternity, because only pregnant women would buy the coverage. We call that "buying a claim", because the premium that you would pay for the policy would NOT cover the payments the insurance company will make for 6 weeks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">