• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate question from bill collector

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woode

What is the name of your state? Texas
My husband recently passed away. He had credit cards and a collector called and wanted a copy of the death certificate. He wanted the copy to send the bill to probate. What does this mean? and what can happen?

Betty

What is the name of your state? Texas
My husband recently passed away. He had credit cards and a collector called and wanted a copy of the death certificate. He wanted the copy to send the bill to probate. What does this mean? and what can happen?
Many bill collectors ask for a copy of death certificate to verify the death of the debtor - verify not just being told they died to get out of paying the debt owed. The collector will submit a bill to the probate estate to have the debt paid out of estate assets. I don't know the amt. of all debts or the value of the estate but if the estate doesn't have enough assets to cover all debts, they probably will come after you for payment since Tx. is a community property state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">