• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm in need of advice, please.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Karensteph

What is the name of your state? GA
My spouse & I are separated. He has not been employed for over 3 years, & is ill & semi-disabled. I still support him & maintain our former marital residence. He has had his own problems ( side effects of medications, but is better now.) He is trying to get guardianship of his incapacitated adult brother ( who resides in NC with their sister ). Brother has an Alzheimers-like problem from alcohol. We suspect the sister is exploiting brother's finances ( sudden new-found wealth; trips, jewelry, motorcycles, $10,000.00 CD's to her 2 children etc. ). We are almost positive she is not keeping any account of brother's finances. She abuses brother mentally, verbally. Her common-law husband can't stand him. They refuse to lock up liquor. Brother has "run away" a few times, but was brought back to them. Sister allowed brother to visit my spouse & has stayed for over 1 month. Brother does not want to return to live with sister. He is very happy & doing well with spouse. Brother does not have any I.D. because sister will not let him have it. She will not turn it over to my spouse. She is also withholding all but a few days worth of medicines. My spouse & his brother went to NC 2 days ago & filed a report with Adult Protective Services. They then had Sheriff go to sister's house to try to get I.D. She has an explosive temper, refused to turn over I.D. Sheriff threatened to lock all of them up. Brother told sister he does not want to live with her. Spouse is on his way back to GA with brother. Sister left me a message saying she will get law involved & get guardianship over brother. Sister will probably be on her way to GA soon. Spouse says he will have her arrested if she shows up at his house. We can't seem to do anything legally without brother's I.D. It's next to impossible to get copies of birth certificate, or SS card without any other I.D, or bills, credit cards or bank statements. Will spouse be able to get guardianship? Can you offer any advice? Thank you.What is the name of your state?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? GA
My spouse & I are separated. He has not been employed for over 3 years, & is ill & semi-disabled. I still support him & maintain our former marital residence. He has had his own problems ( side effects of medications, but is better now.) He is trying to get guardianship of his incapacitated adult brother ( who resides in NC with their sister ). Brother has an Alzheimers-like problem from alcohol. We suspect the sister is exploiting brother's finances ( sudden new-found wealth; trips, jewelry, motorcycles, $10,000.00 CD's to her 2 children etc. ). We are almost positive she is not keeping any account of brother's finances. She abuses brother mentally, verbally. Her common-law husband can't stand him. They refuse to lock up liquor. Brother has "run away" a few times, but was brought back to them. Sister allowed brother to visit my spouse & has stayed for over 1 month. Brother does not want to return to live with sister. He is very happy & doing well with spouse. Brother does not have any I.D. because sister will not let him have it. She will not turn it over to my spouse. She is also withholding all but a few days worth of medicines. My spouse & his brother went to NC 2 days ago & filed a report with Adult Protective Services. They then had Sheriff go to sister's house to try to get I.D. She has an explosive temper, refused to turn over I.D. Sheriff threatened to lock all of them up. Brother told sister he does not want to live with her. Spouse is on his way back to GA with brother. Sister left me a message saying she will get law involved & get guardianship over brother. Sister will probably be on her way to GA soon. Spouse says he will have her arrested if she shows up at his house. We can't seem to do anything legally without brother's I.D. It's next to impossible to get copies of birth certificate, or SS card without any other I.D, or bills, credit cards or bank statements. Will spouse be able to get guardianship? Can you offer any advice? Thank you.What is the name of your state?
I've been very busy lately and not on board too much. File a formal compliant with the police & have SIL arrested. Call Adult Protective Services back for a follow-up and let me know what they said. Ask APS if they are petitioning the court for guardianship of your BIL. Your husband can petition for guardianship.

I cannot provide you with other information until I know if Adult Protective Services has petitioned the court for guardianship over your BIL. There can be state protection issues here. Please make paragraphs for easier reading.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">