• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unique disability problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DLSMD

What is the name of your state? Arizona I am a 48 year old physician with an active disability policy through Royal Macabee which includes both partial and residual disability benefits for loss of income 20% or greater. I was diagnosed 8 months ago with Follicular Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (fnhl) which at this time is an incureable cancer of the lymph system. Most data reports a median survival of 7-10 years. Although new meds have improved the statistics, it is still incureable. I receive a partners share for a 45 hour work week and each of us receives extra compensation for after hours work (Night and Weekend Call). My usual work week for over 18 years is around 75 hours per week with the extra Call hours accounting for around 1/3 if my income. Since my diagnosis I have continued at this pace and put off chemo (early treatment doesnt improve survival) but my tumors are getting progressively larger and causing discomfort. My oncologist and I have decided to start chemo in the near future. Here are my questions: 1. If I stop working the extra Call hours but maintain the 45 hour full time work week as my oncologist has suggested, am I eligible for residual disability? 2.Since fnhl is incureable, would they pay until age 65 as per contract (assuming no cure is found)? 3. If the partners share increases in the future enough to cover all or part of the income lost from giving up Call, will that count against my claim? Any info and contacts would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">