• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relatives skipping probate to keep inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gwill1010

What is the name of your state? MS

My Grandmother (Dad's mom) died about five years ago and I just found out that Mom is probably in her will. Details:

My Dad died prior his mothers death.
I was told and assumed mom wouldn't get anything.
I just heard a rumor that she is in the will and should (have) receive 1/3.
Her two living sons have not probated the will. (I think I know why now)
Grandmother's estate could be worth $300,000+

Questions:
What should I do now? (confront them or get a lawyer)
If Mom is in the will are the brothers obligated to give her a copy if she asks?
We know she had a will, what if they destroyed it?
How do I force them into probate if she is or isn't in the will?
Can I have these jokers (Brothers) charged with fraud?
Grandmother's house was part of the estate and they have been renting it for years. Do they owe me back rent?
Do they owe me back interest? (Not that i need it, but i want them to pay). I've been helping mom financially, she's on social security. I'm pissed at these thieves.

Thanks very much.
Glenn

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Get an attorney now to open up probate. If they are deliberately withholding the will, the probate judge can ask whoever has it to produce it for court. If they claim they can't find it, your mother is still in line to inherit as a surviving heir, even without the will.

Who did you hear the "rumor" from and is that person reliable?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

gwill1010

Actually, one of the brothers-in-law eluded to it and asked my mom if she needed money. He offered her 50K right out of the blue. They are being too vague. We went to the courthouse to check if the will was probated. It wasn't.

Betty

Definitely get a lawyer & have probate opened. Tell mom not to sign anything from the brothers-in-law at this time if they ask her to - talk to a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">